Our client in Seal came to us with a run-down kitchen. Hidden within a stunning country property, this kitchen was dilapidated and hand painted. It was a very large space and required careful planning.
The client’s requirements
This client had been searching for a new kitchen for some time before finding us. They were unsure on the style that they wanted but were clear that they did not want it to be a traditional one.
- The existing kitchen was adorned with multiple elements that we had to overcome! It was very old, and there was a wall that the client wanted to be removed, which needed meticulous planning.
- The client had a fairly new Neff oven, which led to the decision to use Neff brand appliances. We included a full-sized fridge and freezer, an induction hob, and a pop-up extractor fan within the kitchen island.
- We were also asked to update the utility room with a complete transformation, including a new boiler house, a stacked washer and dryer hide-away, and new flooring.
- We designed one full colour 3D design which the client was immediately taken with.
Our client’s kitchen had decorative oak beams, which we were unsure whether they had a structural purpose or not. It also housed a broken aga, low ceilings, a low level of natural light, poor central heating, and was draughty. We provided a full colour, 3D design which showcased to the client what their kitchen was capable of looking like – a refreshing image after living with such an inefficient kitchen.
The challenges and solutions
There were several challenges that we encountered during the works of this project, requiring innovation to overcome them.
Initially, we were unsure if the oak beams were structural or decorative. We contacted our structural engineer for advice, enabling us to progress the project. We removed the oak beams and a badly positioned post.
It was discovered that the structural beam we anticipated being necessary was needed in a different location. We had a steel beam made that could be inserted between the joists and welded a steel plate onto the bottom of it on site. This meant that we could raise the ceiling by 100mm.
To solve the ineffective central heating, we suggested taking up the old quarry tiles, and replacing them with a new oak parquet floor. We decided to install underfloor heating. During the process of taking up the 40mm of original tile, we found two additional layers of tile underneath, 25mm and 18mm thick. The floor was 55 square metres; we had two full 14-yard skips full of floor tiles by the end! Once these tiles were up, the underfloor heating and new flooring could be completed.
The lack of natural light was partly due to the wall that was to be removed, and partly due to the low ceilings and small window. We had a three-metre wide oak window custom made to let in an abundance of light, and removed the wall.
The client requested for a wall, that was obscuring the amount of light in the room, to be removed. To do this safely, we had to be certain that the wall offered no structural support. The wall was not built traditionally, but was made from left over bricks, rubble, and lime. This wall supported the corner of the bedroom above. We installed a support, and the client’s bedroom had to be plastered and decorated in the process.
Our standard of service
We made several visits to the property during the project and oversaw the works while the client was away from their home. We overcame every challenge that came our way, and supplied our client with a kitchen that surpassed their expectations.